Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hello summer, my old friend.


To me the beginning of summer is not a date on a calendar or the first time I get to wear shorts and a tank-top. Summer has begun once I have gone to my first garage sale.

I love garage sale hunting. There is almost nothing as satisfying as the feeling of getting a really good deal. I used to hate haggling at garage sales. I would see the sticker price and decide if that item was worth that price for me. If it wasn’t I would walk away. This all changed for me when I was introduced to craigslist and Bookoo. Both are websites where you can sell items to locals or purchase items from locals. This negates the hassle of shipping and handling and sales tax.  The websites also allow you the opportunity to price haggle with people without ever speaking with them face to face. I used to feel bad about price haggling. I now find it fun and entertaining.

This weekend I attended a neighborhood wide garage sale extravaganza. I went with my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law, and the kids. Although it was a little chilly this weekend, the weather held and we were able to stroll through the neighborhood peeking into people’s discards.  One person’s trash is another’s treasure. That is never more true than when garage sale hunting. And I found treasure!

I have to really, really, really like something in order to purchase it right away. I am not an impulse shopper. I make lists and usually stick with them. I was not actually looking for anything for myself on this particular garage sale hunt. I was looking for toys and climbers for my sister-in-law to have at her house. My sister-in-law is a new mother and has not yet succumbed to the home day care look that I have going on in my basement (I am a little ridiculous). Although we did not have any luck finding stuff for my sister-in-law; we did happen upon a great find for me. I bought a 5X8 Pottery Barn Kids area rug for my newborn son Steven’s nursery as well as a matching mobile. I think they are gorgeous. What do you think?


Although I did not need this rug or mobile, they were too cute to pass up. That and I bought them for a steal, $30.00 for both the rug and the working mobile. Especially considering that this "Eli the Elephant rug" is a Pottery Barn rug that is discontinued and retailed for well over $200.00! Crazy, right?

We are currently in the process of putting together the nursery. Right now Steven sleeps in a pack-n-play next to me in the master bedroom. His room was the guest bedroom and needed new paint and new carpet. Although it feels weird to be putting together the nursery after the baby comes, it has given me the opportunity to change things up a little. More to come on the new nursery…

Needless to say, I am very much looking forward to my summer of garage sale hunting.

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...