Thursday, May 26, 2011

Road Trip

As I finish doing the laundry and get ready to compile my list of packing necessities, I am starting to get a little anxious about my first road trip with both a toddler and a newborn. What to pack? How to deal with meltdowns in the swagger wagon? How to schedule travel timing to coincide with the nap schedules? AAaaahhhh! There is so much to think about and I haven’t even started to pack.


Thank goodness we are going to be staying with family, so I won’t need to load up my vehicle with toys to entertain the kids. I have been looking forward to this road trip to visit family for quite some time. I guess I never really thought through the logistics of traveling with a toddler and a newborn.

I am hoping to avoid mealtimes in the car, simply because my toddler has no concept of neatness and likes to wear more food than he likes to eat. My newborn is breastfeeding so I have to figure out a way to do that on the road. This should be interesting.

It’s time to think about car entertainment. Goodbye days of car games based on surroundings and imagination. Hello Silencer, also known as the DVD player. I know I am truly an awful parent for loving this new car feature, but I do. I absolutely love it! We pop in a Disney movie and sing along. My husband’s favorite movie to listen to is the old Disney Robin Hood with the animals as characters. He loves to imitate Prince John, “Ah Ha! Ah Ha!”

I guess my biggest hesitation with this trip is making sure I pack everything I need. My pregnancy brain has not completely lifted and I have a tendency to forget things almost instantaneously. I will swear up and down that I put something somewhere; when in fact I thought about doing it but never got around to actually doing it. Crazy, right?

I guess I will have to look to Santa Clause as my inspiration for getting ready for this trip. I will make a list and check it twice. I will pray that my boys will not be naughty, but nice.

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...