Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Baby Gender Confusion?

Boy Girl Sign

My youngest son is five months old and has been blessed with the most beautiful eyelashes I have ever seen. I am talking thick dark lashes that just keep going and going and going. He is truly a beautiful baby boy. Of course I may be a little biased.

We are an on the go type of family. We are always out and about running errands, playing at the park, going on play-dates, or visiting family. Lately I have noticed a lot of people commenting on my beautiful baby GIRL?!?

Umm. No.

I usually inform these baby gender confused people that the beautiful baby they are ooh-ing and awe-ing over is in fact a baby boy. I try to be as polite as possible. “Actually my baby is a boy, I know… The eyelashes confuse people all the time.” I smile and nod as they tell me that he is pretty and ask me if I am sure that he is in fact a boy.

Mentally I am giving these people the biggest eye roll ever. I mean, seriously people he is wearing a blue baby outfit adorned with dinosaurs. There are no cute bows in his hair and he is not wearing a single flower anywhere! He is dressed like a BOY!

I guess that I am surprised that people get confused about the gender of my baby. I dress him in boy clothes and surround him with trucks, trains, animals, and dinosaurs. Having given birth to two boys, I do not own a single girly thing. It’s like people completely disregard his attire and surroundings when they look at him. They zero in on his eyelashes and the rest just seems to be a blur.

I completely understand that when children are little it can be difficult to tell their gender, especially when they are babies. I get that feminine features might confuse people. I get it, I really do. But once I have corrected this misunderstanding there is really no need to argue with me. Believe me; I know that my baby is a boy. I have bathed him, changed his diaper, and been peed on countless times. I really am sure that he is a boy.

When I am unsure of the gender of a baby, I look at what they are wearing. If they are dressed in gender neutral clothing I tell the parent that they have an adorable (gender neutral term) baby, and inquire as to the baby’s age. Usually, the parent will say she/he is x amount of months old. Ta Da! I have found out the gender of the baby without insulting the parents!

I think my kids are the best looking kids in the world, I’m their mom. I would think that regardless of how they actually looked. Everyone believes that their child is cute; it is in our nature to feel this way. I do not, however, question other parents about the gender of their child based on that child’s looks. Especially complete strangers. I am truly trying to find the humor in this situation and not feel quite so insulted. I guess I should just let it go in one ear and out the other.

I would love to hear about your experiences with this issue. Feel free to leave a comment and share your story. Thanks.

Written by: Laura Andry

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...