Saturday, November 26, 2011

Getting Creative with Cash: Making Money as an at Home Mom!

Money Jar
With holiday shopping right around the corner I tend to keep a close eye on the bottom line, my budget. This can be very difficult for me since I love to buy gifts for people!

I have been a stay at home mom for almost three years now and I love it. I love being a stay at home mom, from cooking and cleaning my home to wiping runny noses and playing with my children. Being a stay at home mom is incredibly rewarding and very entertaining. I love everything about being a stay at home mom except the budget.

Being a stay at home mom means that we are living off of one income. Living off of one income means that we live with a budget and make some compromises when it comes to purchases. This is very difficult for me. If I want something, I want it! So I have found creative ways to make some cash for my holiday budget.

When I had my first child and started to get bored sitting at home I joined an online babysitting website and started looking for simple jobs that I could do with my child. For example, most babysitting websites also have pet care as an option. Since we love dogs and I am able to take my son in his stroller with me to walk a dog, this was an easy option.

Another creative way I have made cash is quite simple, driving. This is a job that my children can do with me. I strap them into their car seats and we are off. My job is to pick up a child from school and transport them to their afterschool activity. This is a quick and easy job that puts money in my money jar. As an added bonus I happen to like this family a great deal.

My driving job has turned into a babysitting job on occasion. I am not an in-home daycare, nor do I want to be. I like having the freedom to head out the door whenever I need to with my children. At the same time, I love kids and I miss being in the classroom teaching. Babysitting on occasion is easy for me and feels just like a play-date minus the extra adult supervision.

I blog. This is the newest addition to my creative ways to make money. My blogging started out as a way for me to share information. I started noticing other sites doing product reviews and thought, I can do that too! So I started writing product reviews, hosting giveaways, and writing posts for companies. This is my latest obsession and so far I love every minute of it!

Another way to make money while staying at home is to become a work from home mom. These jobs are great if you can get them and know where to look. A friend of minerecently informed me that  http://www.workingmums.co.uk/ is a great online community for working mothers and worth a look. I have a family member that works part time from home and loves the flexibility it allows her with her toddler.

I know that staying at home is not something that everyone wants or is able to do, and I get it. I know that there are those days when I am ready to pull out my hair and cry. Everyone has them. One of the most difficult obstacles I run into on a daily basis is making my budget work for me.

With holiday shopping getting ready to take off, every penny counts. I hope that you found my creative ways to make cash helpful and you are able to apply it to your life if you so choose.



Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...