Monday, January 9, 2012

Home Renovations with Children: Am I crazy?

Hammer

Bang Bang Bang goes the hammer. Tap Tap Tap goes the hammer. Thump Thump Thump goes mommy’s head on the desk.

As some of you may know, especially if you are keeping up with my Project 366 photos, I am doing a little home renovation. More specifically I am redoing the flooring in my kitchen. Out with the old and in with the new. I am getting rid of my old ceramic tile flooring and replacing it with pretty hardwood floors. Please do not think that I am swinging the hammer here. I am not. I have hired professional people to rip out the old and install the new.

I am doing this renovation with two little boys underfoot. Since I am a SAHM my boys are at home with me all day. My toddler is getting ready to turn three in February and is all about tools, toys, and helping out. My baby boy is nine months old and loves to crawl and pull himself up on anything and everything. He is a curious little guy who has to have a front row seat for all the action. Needless to say, my boys want to see what is happening and would be thrilled to wield a hammer to help. Sadly, their mother will not let them.

Instead I expect my children to somehow nap while my floor guys go crazy hammering all the staples into the subfloor... Just in case you were wondering, there are a lot of staples to be hammered down.  Crazy, right?

Well…my nine month old baby boy is asleep. I even took a video of his baby monitor. The hammering is taking place in the kitchen on my first floor and my baby is sleeping above it on the second floor. He is actually sleeping through this chaos!




I plan on peaking in on my toddler to see how he is doing, but I am assuming that eventually he too will sleep. If he can sleep with a screaming baby in the room next to him, what’s a little rhythmic thumping of a hammer going to harm?
I am ecstatic about getting new floors and ready for this renovation to be over and done. The truly sad thing is that it has only been a day.

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...