Monday, August 27, 2012

Make ahead freezer meals?

freezer

I like being able to go and do things with my day and not worry about being home in time to get dinner on the table by six. I am all about the make ahead meal. I like the ease of just reheating something versus spending large quantities of time each night preparing a meal. This just makes sense to me. Unfortunately it also involves a lot of planning and preparing, more so than I am typically prepared for.

I plan a weekly menu each week with my husband and we try to change things up for family meals. Lately I feel like we have gotten stuck in a cooking rut and I am on the lookout for something new. I have been looking at Crockpot recipes.

I have been seeing a lot of pins on Pinterest about make ahead freezer meals and I have started to give this idea some serious consideration. I think it would be quick and easy to toss a bag into my Crockpot in the morning and have dinner magically be ready when I get home from running errands and going on play dates or even after a long day of *gasp* cleaning my house.
I already make certain dinners in bulk and freeze leftovers in meal portion sizes. My jambalaya and shredded Mexican chicken are my go to leftover freezer meals on lazy days. But I would really like to plan ahead and make several meals to freeze at once.

I like the idea of chopping, dicing, cooking, and cleaning up once as opposed to every night. I really like the idea of having an entire healthy meal in a container ready to go whenever I need it. I know that doing this takes planning and preparation, but I think that this is something that could be fun, frugal, and fantastic for my family.

Right now with fall just around the bend I am in search for some great Crockpot meals that I can freeze ahead of time. The problem that I run into with this is that although I love soups, soup alone does not satisfy my family for an entire meal. With three boys to feed I need to have something aside from soup on the dinner table… but what to make in addition to soup has me at a complete loss. I could happily eat a salad with my soup and be satisfied, but the boys need something… more.

What’s more I think this could be something really fun for my mother-in-law and sister-in-law and I to do together. We could all get together and whip up several freezer meals in one night and hang out {can you tell I like my family}. I like to cook and I like to try new things, so I think I am going to give this a serious try.


Do you make freezer meals? Do you have any good freezer meal recipes? Know of any amazing freezer Crockpot dishes?



Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...