Friday, April 26, 2013

Leaping Lizard Brew #CraftsForKids

As a mother of two little boys I find myself constantly digging in the dirt for worms or pretending to be a pirate captain. These activities are all well and good, but can only be done so much before the entertainment factor in them wears thin. So I have been racking my brain trying to think of some fun alternative activities.

While I was never great at the math part of most science experiments, I always enjoyed the wow factor science experiments brought to the table. So while the Chicagoland area has been bombarded with rain I have been working on remembering all the experiments I enjoyed as a child.  I have put together a little list of some fun crafts for the kids that have a little mad scientist feel to them. This should be a fun spring!

The first experiment is something called Leaping Lizard Brew! I saw it for the first time when I was in middle school and I remember thinking, “Oh SNAP! That is so cool!” So I figured my children would have a pretty similar reaction and I was not disappointed.

Crafts For Kids: How to Make Leaping Lizard Brew
What you need:
Jar
Cookie Sheet
Vinegar
Baking Soda
Food Coloring
Glitter
Dish Soap

How to Make It:
Fill ½ jar with vinegar
Add food coloring and glitter {as much or little as you like until you have the desired effect}
Stir in a good 1 tablespoon of dish soap.
Place jar on a cookie sheet and add in a tablespoon of baking soda. 
WATCH!

Mom Mart: Making Leaping Lizard Brew {Science for Kids}

Mom Mart: Making Leaping Lizard Brew

The concoction just creeps right out of the jar and my children practically leap out of their chairs! It is fun and gooey and totally enjoyable to watch {both the experiment and my children’s reaction to the experiment}. We did this a couple times using various colors. It was the perfect activity for a rainy gloomy day. Since we placed the jar on top of the cookie sheet clean up was a breeze.

The boys enjoying the Science Experiment!


Do you have any favorite experiments from your childhood?

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...