Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Sweet Treat: Strawberry Shortcake {Strawberry Sauce Recipe}

This weekend we celebrated my baby boy turning 2 and I decided to go with an alternative cake treat that I knew he would love. It also helps that strawberry shortcake is one of my favorite desserts to eat as well. I wanted something that was red and white to go with the circus theme, but I didn’t want a sugar overload.

Strawberry shortcake seemed like it would be perfect, so that is what I went with. I know that most people simply take the strawberries and mash them sugar and water to create the strawberry topping, but I like to make my topping more of a sauce. What can I say, I’m saucy.

Strawberry Shortcake



For this dessert I bought a box of pound cake and followed the directions on how to prepare it {yes I know this was the lazy way – but it was also super easy and saved me a ton of time.} a container of Cool Whip, and fresh strawberries for the topping. You can buy angel food cake, pound cake, or those little dessert cups if you do not want to prepare the cake portion of this recipe. I like the freshness of making the cake in house.

I made my own strawberry sauce to go on top of the pound cake and that is the recipe I am sharing with you today.

What you Need:
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup cranberry juice
2 (16-ounce) bag frozen strawberries

How to Make It:
In a pan whisk together the sugar, the cornstarch and the cranberry juice.
Combine the strawberries with the cornstarch mixture.
Stir together until blended {there should be no cornstarch clumps} and bring to a simmer over medium heat. STIR OFTEN.
Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until thickened.
Remove from heat and let cool.



Stove Top Strawberry Sauce for Strawberry Shortcake

When everything is ready {the pound cake has been cooked or bought} you can assemble the dessert as follows: Take the slice of cake {pound cake, angel food cake, shortcake, or dessert cup} and place a hefty spoonful of strawberry sauce over the cake. Then place a dollop of whip cream atop the strawberry sauce and top with a fresh slice of strawberry.

This is one of my favorite desserts to eat because it is not too heavy, but at the same time it is very rich and flavorful. I like the lightness of the cool whip and the sweetness of the strawberries. It is the perfect spring/summer dessert in my humble opinion… but I may be biased since it is one of my all time favorites.


This recipe is linked up at Friday Food Frenzy:

Friday Food Frenzy


Do you have a favorite spring or summer dessert?


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...