Friday, March 28, 2014

How to make Homemade Gak: hands-on activity for kids #CraftsForKids

My children love hands on activities - as I am sure most little ones do. They love to paint, mix, and dig. But what my children love the most are science experiments. They love watching ordinary household stuff turn into something new and cool. Our latest experiment had to do with mixing some stuff together and watching it change into something gooey and fun to play with. They loved making homemade gak. They loved the elasticity and the squishiness of it!

 How to make Homemade Gak Hands-On Activity for Kids #CraftsForKids #KidCraft #Activity #DIY #Tutorial

What you need:
3/4 cup cold water
1 bottle of liquid glue (Elmer’s works best, but we have used an off name brand before)
Liquid food coloring
1/2 cup hot water
1 teaspoon borax 

How to make it:
In one bowl mix together the cold water, glue, and food coloring then set aside.
In a separate bowl mix together hot water and borax until the borax is completely dissolved.
Then slowly add the glue mixture to the borax mixture.
Mix well.
Drain excess water.
Use your hands to knead the gak until it is no longer super sticky.

 How to make Homemade Gak Hands-On Activity for Kids #CraftsForKids #KidCraft #Activity #DIY #Tutorial

 How to make Homemade Gak Hands-On Activity for Kids #CraftsForKids #KidCraft #Activity #DIY #Tutorial

 How to make Homemade Gak Hands-On Activity for Kids #CraftsForKids #KidCraft #Activity #DIY #Tutorial

I have heard this called flubber before, but we have always called it gak. I remember making this when I was in grade school, so I am sure the recipe that I had written down on a note card from a fellow mom of littles is nothing new. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel here; I am simply sharing a fun craft to do with kids that my family has enjoyed. It was really simple to make and led to a couple of hours of entertainment. So I truly hope that you enjoy it as much as we have.

We used a couple bottles of glue and made different colors of gak. You should note that once the different colors of gak have rested together for a while they are pretty much impossible to separate again. So if you want to keep your colors from mixing you should store separately.

Also- This recipe calls for Borax and I have heard many mixed views on the use of this product in crafts and such. I have used Borax in many crafting recipes in small amounts. I watch my children carefully whenever we do our hands-on activities and make sure that no one eats it and that hands are washed immediately after the crafts are completed. With that being said; I am not a chemical expert nor am I a doctor. I would assume that you would do your own research and educate yourself on products you use as you see fit.

Have you ever made gak?


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...