Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes #Recipe

I am an oddity in my family, as I have never been a fan of mashed potatoes or baked potatoes. While everyone in my family loves to eat potatoes in all its many forms, I have always been a bit pickier in my excursions into the world of potatoes. Sweet potatoes on the other hand are a whole other matter entirely in my book. I love sweet potatoes and love experimenting with fun ways to incorporate them into family meals. My most recent experiment has been a success - as I was hard pressed to share my twice baked sweet potatoes with the rest of my family and I gobbled up the leftover one the next day for lunch.

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes  #Recipe #Tutorial #Foodie #YUM


What you need:
3 sweet potatoes
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
½ teaspoon thyme
salt and pepper to taste
garnish:
chopped pecans



How to make it:

Preheat oven to 375°F. 
Take a fork and lightly prick the sweet potato all over. 
Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes. 
Let the potatoes cool for a bit so that you do not burn your hands. 
Once sweet potatoes have cooled down slice each potato in half and scoop out the inside of the potato into a mixing bowl. You are turning the potato skin into a bowl at this time so be careful not to tear the skin. 
Take the sweet potato you have scooped out and combine it with the butter, milk and garlic. Mash until smooth – I like to use my hand held immersion blender for this part. 
Stir in egg until fully incorporated. 
Fold in gorgonzola cheese, thyme, and salt and pepper. 
Scoop the mixture into a Ziploc bag and snip off one end. Then squeeze potatoes back into the sweet potato shells. 
Bake sweet potatoes for an additional 15 minutes. 
Top with chopped pecan {optional} and serve. 

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes  #Recipe #Tutorial #Foodie #YUM

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes  #Recipe #Tutorial #Foodie #YUM

While the chopped pecans are an optional garnish, I really feel that they add a lot to the end result. They add that extra something that I feel is needed. I loved these twice baked sweet potatoes and I gobbled it up. While they do take a little more work in the kitchen than my typical weeknight side dish, they are well worth the extra effort. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I did.

This recipe is linked up at Delicious Dish Tuesday and Friday Food Frenzy:



Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...