Monday, November 17, 2014

Grilled Cheese Caprese Sandwich #Recipe

It got a little chilly outside recently and as a result I have been making a lot of warm comfort foods over the last week. The cold is working its way through my family right now and everyone has the sniffles but me. So I have been toiling away like crazy in my kitchen making soups, sandwiches, and every comfort dish I can think of to help my family feel better. One of my go-to comfort foods (especially for lunch time) is the grilled cheese sandwich. Only… I have been having a craving for caprese lately. So I decided to combine my love of grilled cheese with my need to eat caprese and BOOM – my grilled cheese caprese sandwich is the result (it is really yummy too).

Grilled Cheese Caprese Sandwich #Recipe #ComfortFood #YUM

What you need:
Bread (2 slices per sandwich)
Olive Oil
Mozzarella Cheese (I bought mine sliced to save time)
Fresh Basil
Grape Tomatoes


How to make it:
Brush one side of each slice of bread with olive oil.

On the side that does not have olive oil place one slice of mozzarella cheese.

Place a layer of fresh basil leaves on top of the slice of mozzarella cheese.

Slice the grape tomatoes (I typically slice them in half or in thirds – length wise) and place the sliced tomatoes on top of the fresh basil.

Cover the tomatoes with a slice of mozzarella cheese and the final slice of bread with the olive oil facing out.

Place the sandwich on a frying pan and cook over medium heat until golden brown. Flip the bread over and cook until golden brown on the other side. This should take about 1-2 minutes per side.

Grilled Cheese Caprese Sandwich #Recipe #ComfortFood #YUM #foodie

Grilled Cheese Caprese Sandwich #Recipe #ComfortFood #YUM #Caprese
                                                                
I have been in the mood for caprese for a little over a week now and I do not want to tell you how many times I have made this sandwich for myself. Typically when I make this grilled cheese caprese sandwich I will make a traditional grilled cheese for my children – only the last few times I have made it my son has negotiated half my sandwich away from me. He is a big fan of this sandwich as well.

This recipe is linked up at  Friday Food Frenzy

I love a good grilled cheese sandwich and frequently play around with how I make it. Sometimes I add meat, sometimes I add veggies, and sometimes I go traditional. It is fun to switch things up and my kids like to help me experiment in the kitchen.

What is your favorite type of grilled cheese sandwich?


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...